More on surrogacy
Depending on the certain combination of pathological factors, female infertility is cannot be overcome but that does not mean that the couple will remain childless. Modern reproductive technologies allow implementing a complex program with participation of a surrogate mother and donor oocytes fertilized with sperm taken from the husband. As a result, a healthy baby is born who of inherits the genetic features and the traits of his father. In the selection of oocytes also takes into account the physiognomic resemblance to an infertile patient so that the child looked like both spouses.
Benefits of surrogacy programs at Life Line Center
At LifeLine Reproduction Center they provide effective help to the couples with irreparable infertility in the female partner under a formal contract fully according to the Russian laws. The Liniya Zhizni Clinic’s surrogacy programs with donor oocytes are highly effective owing to tangible benefits of scientific-practical and organizational measures:
- Implementation of reproductive procedures is supervised by a personal account manager who provides preparation and consistent implementation of the required procedures.
- The patients are managed by highly qualified fertility specialists and embryologists with extensive experience in the successful performance of surrogacy programs.
The Clinic’s equipment, including laboratory and operating modules, meets the global medical standards.
A timely visit to a medical specialist increases the chance of the pregnancy onset by several times.
Who has indications for surrogacy with donor oocytes?
The use of a surrogate mother and oocyte donor is indicated for the patients with mixed forms of infertility where the child-bearing ability is completely absent and the activity of ovaries is suppressed or non-existent. Such combined infertility cases can develop because of a number of factors:
- abnormal development of the uterus (internal partitions or size too small);
- absence of the uterus (congenital or post-operative);
- persistent disturbance of the ovulation cycle due to a significant imbalance of hormone system, cyst formations, chemotherapy or other forms of treatment for health reasons;
- premature menopause or absence of ovaries as a result of surgical treatment.
The program involves the participation of a couple of future parents, a donor of female germ cells and a surrogate mother who is ready for child-bearing according to her physical data. In addition, it is taken into account that the husband of the patient with irreparable infertility can provide sperm with quality characteristics optimal for laboratory fertilization of a donor oocyte. According to the contract, the spouses have legal grounds to become parents of the child if the program stages are successfully realized.
Medical support including all manipulations and prenatal care are fully provided by LifeLine Reproduction Center, while legal support is provided by the Clinic jointly with Will-mama agency. A female donor and a surrogate mother undergo a though screening process and undertake to abide by the recommendations of the Clinic’s fertility specialists and other medical specialists as to the intake of necessary medications, day regimen specifics and participation in the program procedures.
Selecting a surrogate mother
A woman to performs non-genetic child-bearing under the program may be proposed by the future parents out of their acquaintances or relatives, or selected among outside pretenders. In each case an objective assessment of the conditions of a possible surrogate mother is performed including health and social characteristics stipulated by laws:
- age - 20 to 35 years;
- physical and mental health;
- previous pregnancies without abortions, miscarriages, and complications;
- healthy biological children available;
- absence of systemic diseases that threaten the normal course of pregnancy;
- absence of asocial habits, addiction to alcohol, smoking, and drugs.
The surrogate mother gives blood for biochemical, clinical and hormonal analysis, and the test on STDs or HIV, urogenital smears and pelvic examination. A sonography examination of the reproductive organs is performed, with consultation by a geneticist and a psychiatrist, plus general opinion to be made by a therapist.
Oocyte donor selection
As a donor oocyte, an anonymous candidate is chosen with the traits as close as possible to the appearance of the infertile patient so a future baby looked like both parents. For the same purpose, the spouses may offer the candidate for donation out of the close female relatives of the patient (sister or niece). All the donor candidates shall be between 20 and 35 years old because this is the best reproductive period when a woman generates the most viable follicles that meet necessary standards. A female donor should have born own healthy children without identified anomalies and genetic abnormalities. The donation can be performed only after a complex investigation involving the participation of relevant medical specialists and optimum results of instrumental and laboratory studies.
Stages of the program
Preparing for pregnancy is performed out in several stages:
- Synchronization of monthly cycles in the surrogate mother and a donor with help of hormonal injection course in combination with ultrasound control;
- when the peak of ovulation is achieved, oocytes are surgically removed, undergo laboratory assessment and transferred into an incubator;
- the husband of the infertile patient donates sperm which is saturated and further processed in the laboratory conditions;
- the prepared biomaterial is then placed in a box with donor oocytes where embryos are fertilized and grow to a certain size;
- among the embryos grown, the most viable embryos are selected for planting in the uterus of a surrogate mother and cryopreservation of the remaining embryos in case a repeated procedure will be required or later on the couple will want to have more children;
- in 10-14 days the pregnancy test is made;
- in the period up to Week 12 the specialist adjust hormonal balance in the pregnant woman and drug stimulation to ensure successful planting of the embryo in the uterine endometrium, in order to prevent rejection of the ovum.
Gynecologists and fertility specialists of the Clinic perform comprehensive pregnancy management until the prenatal period, including the standard trimester screenings, additional examinations, and consultations if necessary. The future parents receive necessary updates about fetal development and condition of the surrogate mother, and on the measures taken, in case there are any deviations. A child born, after the necessary period of stay at the maternity hospital, is passed to the happy spouses with a set of respective documents that certify their parental rights for the child.