What is double stimulation?
Controlled multi follicular ovarian stimulation (ovulation stimulation) induction is the first and key phase of the standard IVF program. During this procedure, a woman is being administered hormone drugs in incremental steps and that causes simultaneous maturing of several follicles in both ovaries. However, when the ovarian reserve is diminished and predicted stimulation response is poor, the number of generated follicles is extremely low and their quality does not allow for generating new embryos.
In this case, Life Line care center specialists recommend double stimulation.
IVF double stimulation technique
IVF double stimulation technique enables the development of antral follicles that were not chosen for the pool during the first stimulation process and recruitment of more oocytes for fertilization.
This program includes cryo conservation of all embryos generated during the protocol and, consequently, it allows for the genetic screening process to be undertaken. Embryo transfer is implemented in the course of 1 or 2 cycles and under the most favorable protocol for the patient.
IVF ovaries double stimulation scheme
- Stimulation 1. Lasts 10 days
- Puncture 1
- Embryo culture and freezing
- 2-3 days of rest
- Stimulation 2. Lasts 12-14 days
- Puncture 2
- Embryo culture and freezing
- 1-2 cycles of rest
- Embryo transfer
Double stimulation program advantages comparing to traditional protocols
The protocol includes two short multi follicular ovarian stimulation at once within one menstrual cycle and each of them is followed by oocytes retrieval. This leads to a cumulative effect:
- increasing the number of follicles involved in the development process;
- increasing the number of oocytes within one treatment cycle;
- increasing the number of embryos for cryo conservation and genetic testing (screening);
- increasing the number of euploid embryos (with normal karyotype).
The figures show the following:
- the number of mature and normally fertilized oocytes is 25% higher;
- the number of embryos for freezing and PGD is 15% higher
- the number of embryos with normal chromosome set is 10% higher
IVF double stimulation program risks
This program means high hormone concentration, but each stimulation period is short. The protocol is designed in such a way that at the end of the stimulation procedure the hormone concentration in blood is rapidly reduced via pharmaceutical treatment. Chances of side effects correspond to the general population risks and are not higher than in any IVF stimulation program.
IVF double stimulation program in Life Line reproductive care center
Medicine dosage is always individual and should be paid separately. After undergoing a double stimulation protocol the ‘Thawed Embryo Transfer’ program is needed to be undertaken.
In order to make an appointment with our reproductologist call us, submit an application form on our site or write your question to our online advisor.