The procedure in detail
It is always a personal tragedy when the woman is dreaming of a baby, but cannot get pregnant. In the majority of cases, reproductive medicine tackles this issue. Time is a crucial factor in the infertility treatment so seeking for medical help is better not be delayed.
If you have been trying to conceive for more than 12 months without success, consider making an appointment with a reproductologist. For the couples over the age of 35, the period is reduced down to 6 months. The route to the happy parenthood starts with finding out the infertility issue.
NB! It is the biggest misconception to consider that the cause of unsuccessful attempts to conceive a baby lies solely in the woman. In this case, men and women affect more or less equally. That is the reason why both partners need to attend a doctor’s consultation.
Diagnosis of infertility in women in Life Line care center
In order to overcome the problem of infertility, specialists have to identify the cause behind it. There might be a number of reasons, each case is individual. We are to find the root of the problem and develop an optimal treatment plan to achieve the desired outcome. With the assistance of our reproductologists, embryologists and other specialists your success is guaranteed.
In our center, the diagnosis of infertility in women is conducted by current international standards. We are among the first clinics in Moscow to introduce innovative diagnostic methods.
Medical tests are undertaken in our on-site laboratory that has been audited by international experts. The results are guaranteed to be highly reliable. Once the reason for infertility is found, reproductologists develop an individual treatment plan to achieve pregnancy. Any kind of impairment can be tackled with a corresponding effective modern method of treatment.
Factors that cause infertility in women
Infertility issues can be caused by different diseases and pathological conditions. There are several forms of infertility in women that are identified according to infertility factors or reasons of inability to conceive.
- Tubal factor. Pregnancy is not happening due to obstruction (or agenesis) of fallopian tubes caused by various disorders or surgical treatment after-effects.
- Hormone factor. Conception issues can be caused by anovulation or irregular menstrual cycle. The core of the problem is hormone imbalance.
- Uterine factor. Pregnancy is not happening because of an inflammation process in the uterus or the presence of a pathology in the uterine structure.
- Cervical factor. Infertility is caused by cervix cysts, endometriosis or hostile cervical mucus.
How is the diagnosis performed?
The search for the causes of infertility starts with the initial consultation with a reproductologist. The doctor interviews the patient, then conducts a basic physical examination of the woman, a bimanual gynecological investigation and an ultrasound check of pelvic organs. Following the consultation results, the doctor refers the patient for a set of medical tests and sessions conducted by other specialists such as mammologist, endocrinologist, etc.
The initial appointment with the consulting physician plays a significant role in the diagnosis of infertility in women. The interview method provides the specialist with information that is crucial for the further development of a treatment plan. During the session the physician covers the following issues:
- For how long the patient has been trying to conceive, what their sexual activity is like, what contraception methods did they employ in the past.
- Whether the patient has any complaints concerning the health (pains, an increase of weight, abnormal discharge and so on).
- The age and health condition of the husband.
- Family health history (gynecological pathologies in the patient’s mother or other close female relatives, fertility problems in both patients).
- A patient’s health history (surgeries, infections, gynecological pathologies).
- State of the menstrual function (when did the first menstruation occur, how many days does it last now, how regular is it, menstrual characteristics).
- History of pregnancies and deliveries.
- Methods of infertility diagnosis and infertility treatment employed in the past.
Once anamnesis and the patient’s situation is analyzed, the reproductologist develops a plan for further diagnosis.
Diagnostic methods of infertility in women in Life Line care center
Nowadays reproductive medicine possesses a range of diagnostic methods proved to be effective. All of them are available for the patients of our reproductive care center.
Specialty physician consulting
The root of the problem is not always found in the reproductive system of a woman. That is why our reproductologists closely collaborate with specialists in other fields. Listed below are specialty physicians involved:
Specialty physicians’ solid cooperation is of particular importance for rapid and reliable diagnosis of infertility in women. For example, conception or childbearing issues can be caused by genetic disorders which cannot be detected without a geneticist’s assistance.
Diagnosis of infertility in women includes a wide range of laboratory tests:
- general and biochemical blood test;
- STD vaginal smear test via PCR-based diagnostics;
- blood testing for antibodies and antigens for HIV, hepatitis, syphilis, and other infections;
- coagulogram (blood clotting ability test);
- hormone level tests:
- follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH) and anti-mullerian hormone (AMH), prolactin, estradiol;
- general urine test.
If necessary, these compulsory medical tests are complemented by specific ones. A reproductologist can refer the patient for a more profound examination of the endocrine profile and recommend a blood test for genetic study.
At an early stage of investigating of the infertility issue, a reproductologist always undertakes ultrasound study of pelvic organs. Furthermore, during this type of diagnosis, the condition of a thyroid gland and mammary glands is examined via ultrasound as well. Besides, radiography procedure and other methods of medical imaging diagnosis can be recommended.
Invasive diagnostics is widely employed to examine the uterine tubes, the endometrium, and the ovaries.
- Hysteroscopy is an invasive diagnosis of the uterine cavity conducted via a hysteroscope. According to the WНO guidelines, hysteroscopy is a prescribed standard in the diagnosis of the uterine form of infertility. In the Life Line Reproductive care center, we effectively employ diagnostic hysteroscopic-guided curettage.
- Laparoscopy is a highly-precise endoscopic examination of reproductive organs conducted via optical equipment that is inserted through micro-incision in the abdominal cavity. It is widely employed for the examination of uterine tubes patency. Aside from being efficient in diagnosis (reliability level is close to 100%), it is effective for treatment purposes.
- Timed endometrial biopsy is a surgical intervention for diagnostic purposes. It involves the harvesting of tissue samples of the lining of the uterus. In the Life Line care center, Pipelle biopsy is introduced. It is a more attenuated method compared with the traditional one.
Other diagnostic methods are adopted in our clinics as well. All the prescribed medical tests are undertaken in our center. It accelerates the process of infertility diagnosis and annuls any potential discomfort for the woman. Their partners also undergo examination in our clinics.
It is impossible to tackle the reason for infertility in women without a thorough diagnosis. The next step on the route to happy parenthood is the treatment itself. It does not necessarily mean undertaking IVF cycle. At times, pregnancy can happen right after a simple chronic inflammation treatment course or after synechiae removal via laparoscopy.
In other cases the implementation of assisted reproduction is inevitable. The sooner you start an IVF program the higher chances for the successful outcome will be. This is another reason for you not to hesitate and make an appointment with a doctor and undergo a proper diagnosis.
In order to make an appointment with reproductologist call us, submit our online application form or write to us in online-chat.