ICSI-IVF in detail
Embryologists select the best sperm in the male biomaterial and inject it into oocyte via Intracytoplasmic injection.
Undertaking IVF with ICSI tackles even the most severe cases of male infertility. The couples with no hope for parenthood before the technique implementation, become parents.
Why Life Line care center is the best choice for ICSI?
Owing to the ICSI procedure even those couples where the man is diagnosed with the most severe form of infertility can become parents. Ingredients of the program’s success are state-of-the-art technology and highly qualified medical staff. Our center provides all of them. The average national rate of successful ICSI-IVF is 36% whereas in our clinics it reaches 60%. The successful outcome often happens on the first try.
What exactly is the ICSI technique?
ICSI is a widely acclaimed assisted reproductive technology. The acronym stands for Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection. What is the difference between ICSI and IVF?
The procedure is included into in vitro fertilization program as an extra stage. That is why we can only consider the difference between ICSI-IVF and natural IVF. During the conventional program, the fertilization process is undertaken in vitro; sperm penetrates the egg naturally. By contrast, during IVF with ICSI, the latter happens only after intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Embryologist injects selected sperm into the egg in the laboratory with the help of micro-instruments and a powerful microscope.
Medicated stimulation (a patient is administrated medicine equivalent to female sex hormones) for improvement of IVF program prospects. It allows for harvesting of over 15 mature eggs within one cycle. Some IVF protocols presuppose minimum stimulation.
Follicular puncture in women + sperm selection in men
Using a fine needle, doctor alternately enters into each ovary and retrieves the liquid containing mature eggs. The procedure takes approximately 15 minutes and is carried out under general or local anesthesia. Simultaneously, the procedure of sperm selection is performed – naturally or via testicle puncture when there is no sperm in the ejaculate.
ICSI procedure and embryo culture
Embryologists estimate the quality of the male and female gamete cells received earlier and select the most viable one for in vitro fertilization. Then, fertilization via ICSI technique is undertaken – with the help of micro-instruments and microscope specialists inject pre-selected sperm into a quality egg. The ICSI procedure is performed with the use of a microscope, microneedles and special micromanipulator. The embryologist works with a joystick and thoroughly thinks of each movement they make. After that, fertilized cells are placed into an incubator where embryos are left to cultivate.
Transfer of embryos into the woman’s uterine cavity
Reproductilolgists transvaginally inject the liquid with embryos into the uterine cavity of a mother-to-be. The procedure is performed via a special catheter – it is flexible, thin and morbid. The woman does not feel any discomfort.
HCG test is undertaken 2 weeks later to understand whether the pregnancy started or not.
Indications for ICSI
ICSI technique was developed in 1992. At first, it was considered to be the only effective method for male infertility treatment in cases of spermatogenesis disorders.
However, it has subsequently been proved that ICSI-IVF is the solution for a much broader range of reproductive health issues.
Indications for ICSI in male factor infertility
- The level of antisperm antibodies in the ejaculate is over 50%;
- asthenozoospermia (over 40% of sperms with low motility);
- the necessity of detailed sperm analysis due to genetic issues;
- teratozoospermia (many defected sperms);
- employment of cryopreserved sperm.
Indications for ICSI in female factor infertility
- the underperformance of egg fertilization during conventional IVF;
- over 40 years of age (when pregnancy does not start naturally);
- insufficient amount of oocytes for the conventional IVF program;
- thickened oocyte membrane, including the cases of frozen gametes employment.
General indication for intracytoplasmic sperm injection technique is infertility of an uncertain origin.
Examination before ICSI
With all its merits, this technique can be implemented only on specific medical grounds. If sperm can permeate an egg naturally, no assisted technique is employed. Nature always works better no matter how advanced the technology is. Only a reproductologist can determine whether a couple is to be referred to the ICSI procedure or not. A thorough examination is to be passed for that. Medical tests before ICSI-IVF do not differ from those for other assisted reproductive technologies programs. If needed, a specialist can recommend some extra examination. Proper diagnostics increases the chances for pregnancy as it allows doctors for precise decision making.
Advantages of ICSI in Life Line care center
The successful outcome of the program depends on infertility reasons, the patient’s age (especially the woman’s age). State-of-the-art technology, experienced and highly qualified medical staff are equally important. The results are clear:
The average national rate of successful IVF with ICSI is 36% whereas in our clinics it reaches 60%. The successful outcome often happens on the first try.
Why patients choose our clinic for the ICSI procedure in Moscow?
- The high-tech procedure is performed by reproductologists and embryologists who are highly experienced in undertaking IVF with a successful outcome and have a solid reputation among European colleagues.
- All the procedures are implemented via the newest technologies, high-quality medium and administration of effective medicine for sperm activation. Embryologists collect sperm for ICSI with the newest microscope which displays low-contrast sperm defects with 400-fold increase.
- TESA and micro-TESA biopsy techniques are adopted in our clinics. They allow for fast and safe sperm harvesting directly out of a testicle, when sperm ducts are blocked or there are lots of other common issues.
- Each couple is accompanied by a coordinated team of a reproductologist and an embryologist. It increases chances for a successful outcome of the program.
- In Life Line Reproductive care centers ICSI-IVF program helps even the couples with nearly total sterility. How much does the program cost? The price for ICSI-IVF procedure does not differ much from the price of a standard program with ovulation induction, apart from extra charge for the ICSI procedure itself.
Start your journey to the parenthood with reproductologist counseling. To make an appointment, call us or submit an application form on the page below